Our Capabilities / Family law /

Child Support

Child Support

If you are the parent of a child under the age of 18 years, you may be liable for child support if the child does not live with you, or alternatively if the child lives with you, you may be eligible to seek child support from the other parent.

As parents, you have options as to how you can manage child support payments. You can seek a Child Support Assessment from the Department of Human Services. If you choose this option, the department will be responsible for the calculation and collection of the funds.

Alternatively, you can enter into a private agreement with the other parent. If you choose to enter into a private agreement, you may agree to the following kinds of child support:

  1. cash payments; or
  2. non-cash items such as: a. health insurance b. school fees
  3. sporting fees; or
  4. a combination of cash payments and non-cash items.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each child support mechanism, and we recommend that you obtain legal advice in relation to picking the right option for you.

How we can help

Our legal experts are ready to provide the guidance you need for business or personal matters.
Reach out to Longton Legal today to discuss tailored solutions.
Scroll to Top